External hard drive gone bad

PROBLEM:
   I haven't totally written it off as dead, but my back-up external drive that holds 500gigs won't power on now.  I made a back-up of all the data maybe a month ago, but there are some things I must have missed.  In case I can't power it on, is there a way to read it if I take it apart, or something?  The brand is probably Western Digital, since it has WD on it.
  -- Doug

SOLUTION:
   If it's worth the expense, you might send it to http://www.gillware.com/, a company I've used successfully in the past.
   I don't know what those WD drives look like on the inside, but you might be able to use something that I use.  It's a USB2.0 to IDE & SATA cable by Cables Unlimited.  I just depends what sort of connections that drive has available once you pry the cover off.
   If/when you recover your most precious files, try this:  Online backup system called Nordic Backup.

2 comments:

  1. It's probably just a regular HDD inside an enclosure with power and usb adapter. Take it out of the enclosure and put it in your computer as a D drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you get it out of its external case, if it's a regular harddrive and it's still dead, you can buy an identical hdd and swap the circuit boards on the drives and it should work.

    ReplyDelete